Saturday, February 11, 2012

Spaghetti Calzone

Thanks again, Pinterest, for giving me another easy recipe to add to the collection.  This one was pulled from here but I altered it a little bit.  Basically instead of eating spaghetti with a side of garlic bread, this recipe combines it all into one.  Kevin called it the spaghetti calzone, and actually that's exactly what it was.  The original recipe calls for frozen bread dough or dinner rolls (Rhodes), but I used pizza dough (found it in the freezer section in Ingles).  I guess the only difference is that my bread/crust wasn't as light and fluffy.  It was more calzone/pizza-like.  Still pretty good.


**Update- I tried this again with the frozen bread dough and liked it just a little better.  The Rhodes brand frozen dough was a bit harder to find, but worth it. You can see the original recipe here.

Before baking:

And after:


There's not really a set recipe for this one.  Basically, make spaghetti the way you normally would and go ahead and mix your sauce and noodles.  


Then roll out your thawed-out dough.  Place a row of spaghetti down the middle of the dough.  Then, I put a little more sauce on top of my spaghetti just because I like a lot of sauce.  Don't put TOO much though.  You don't want it too soupy because then when you bake it, the bottom of your crust will get soggy. 


Next, top your spaghetti with lots of mozzarella cheese (or whatever kind of cheese you prefer).  


Then start cutting your dough from about an inch away from the out toward the edges. 


Next, pull the strips toward the center of the spaghetti, to close the calzone, alternating sides.  You'll want to make a criss-cross pattern so the calzone will stay closed. 


Brush the top with one egg white, and sprinkle with garlic powder, parsley, and parmesan cheese.  


If you decide to use pizza dough like me, follow the directions on the box for cooking- mine was at 450 for about 45 minutes.  The bread dough cooked for 30-35 minutes at 350.


That's it!  I think this is a great idea for spaghetti leftovers.  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment